Built during America’s “Gilded Age," the Biltmore House and Gardens® today remains America’s Largest Home ®. The 8,000-acre Asheville estate, which has been designated a National Historic Landmark, is open to the public and attracts more than 1 million vistors each year.
While the grandeur of the 250-room chateau itself is enough to attract wondering tourists, the full offerings of the estate are a big reason many Asheville travelers make the Biltmore® a part of their vacation plans. With botanical gardens, fine dining, scenic trails, a winery, a farm, music events, and more, the Biltmore ® fits as easily into plans for a family vacation as a romantic Asheville getaway.
Planning Your Biltmore® Visit
If you go, be sure to plan ahead, as there is more than a day’s worth of attractions and events at the Biltmore® to keep you occupied. Here is a sampling:
- Biltmore® House – Catch a glimpse into the Vanderbilt family’s lifestyle: vintage clothing and furniture, works of art by Renoir and Sargent, awe-inspiring architecture. The self-guided tour is included in your Biltmore Estate admission ticket, or you can take a guided specialty tour at an additional cost.
- Biltmore® Gardens - Designed by landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted, the estate’s grounds include a variety of gardens, including an Italian Garden, a Rose Garden with 250+ varieties, and a Conservatory. View the Biltmore's gardens in full bloom during the annual Biltmore Blooms, a two month period in the spring.
- Biltmore® Grounds – Explore an extensive network of both open and forested trails for hiking and biking (rentals available), a path along the French Broad River, and a bass pond.;
- Antler Hill Village & Winery – The Village offers a variety of activities, including shopping, dining, and special exhibitions. At the Farm in Antler Hill Village, you’ll see how the estate operated in its heyday, and how the families of the workers lived. Experience craft demonstrations, farm-friendly animals, an old-fashioned mercantile shop, a Smokehouse, and a children’s play area.
- Outdoor Adventure Center – Located in Antler Hill Village. Activities include biking, hiking, carriage rides, Land Rover expeditions, horseback trail rides, fly-fishing, river float trips, sporting clays, and Segway tours.
- Winery – Also located in Antler Hill Village, the Antler Hill Village & Winery offers winery tours, complimentary wine tastings, and special events and seminars.
- Special Events – The estate celebrates Christmas at Biltmore every year from early November through early January and occasionally sponsors events such as the “Dressing Downton” exhibit of costumes from the popular television series Downton Abbey.
Biltmore® Discounted Tickets
Greybeard Rentals has a special discount code, available to guests staying in one of our rental homes. If you plan to visit the Biltmore Estate during your Asheville vacation, be sure to mention it to one of our Rentals agents.
Still researching options for lodging in Asheville? We have a number of great vacation rentals located within close proximity of the Biltmore®.