Built during America’s “Gilded Age” by George Vanderbilt II, the Biltmore House today remains America’s largest privately owned home. The 8,000-acre Asheville estate, which has been designated a National Historic Landmark, is open to the public and attracts more than 1 million vistors each year.
While the grandeur of the 250-room chateau itself is enough to attract wondering tourists, the full offerings of the estate are a big reason many travelers make the Biltmore a part of their Asheville vacation plan. With botanical gardens, fine dining, scenic trails, a winery, a farm, music events, and more, the Biltmore Estate fits as easily into plans for a family vacation as a romantic Asheville getaway.
Planning Your Biltmore Visit
If you go, be sure to plan ahead, as there is more than a day’s worth of attractions and events to keep you occupied on the estate. Here is a sampling:
- Biltmore House – Catch a glimpse into the Vanderbilt family’s lifestyle: vintage clothing and furniture, works of art by Renoir and Sargent, awe-inspiring architecture. The self-guided tour is included in your admission ticket, or you can take a guided specialty tour at additional cost.
- Gardens - Designed by landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted, the estate’s grounds include a variety of gardens, including an Italian Garden, a Rose Garden with 250+ varieties, and a Conservatory. View the Biltmore's gardens in full bloom during the annual Biltmore Blooms, a two month period in the spring.
- Grounds – Explore an extensive network of both open and forested trails for hiking and biking (rentals available), a path along the French Broad River, and a bass pond.
- Antler Hill Village – The Village offers a variety of activities, including shopping, dining, and special exhibitions. At the Farm in Antler Hill Village, you’ll see how the estate operated in its heyday, and how the families of the workers lived. Experience craft demonstrations, farm-friendly animals, an old-fashioned mercantile shop, a Smokehouse, and a children’s play area.
- Outdoor Adventure Center – Located in Antler Hill Village. Activities include biking, hiking, carriage rides, Land Rover expeditions, horseback trail rides, fly-fishing, river float trips, sporting clays, and Segway tours.
- Biltmore Winery – Also located in Antler Hill Village, the Winery offers winery tours, complimentary wine tastings, and special events and seminars.
- Special Events – The estate occasionally sponsors events such as the Spring 2015 “Dressing Downton” exhibit of costumes from the popular television series Downton Abbey.
Biltmore Estate Discounted Tickets
Greybeard Rentals has arranged for special discounted tickets, available to guests staying in one of our rental homes. If you plan to visit the Biltmore Estate during your Asheville vacation, be sure to mention it to one of our Rentals agents.
Still researching options for lodging in Asheville? We have several vacation rentals located within close proximity of the Biltmore Estate.