5 Jan 2019
The winter months in Asheville kick off a whole host of exciting events that range from Asheville's Restaurant Week which takes place in January and features dozens of popular Asheville restaurants that you can try out at discounted rates to one of the newest traditions, The FEDCUP, which is essentially the World Cup of women's tennis and has featured tennis greats like the
Williams sisters and Coco Vandeweghe. The winter months culminate in the longstanding tradition of Asheville hosting the SoCon Basketball championships which kicks off the NCAA postseason and road to the Final Four. The Southern Conference Men’s and Women’s Basketball Championships are held at Asheville's U.S. Cellular Center and draws over 40,000 basketball fans across the 20+ tournament games each year in March.
The action will be here before you know it, and here is all that you need to know about SoCon.
SoCon Basketball in Asheville
- Tickets for this event went on sale in early November. Information about various ticket packages are available through Ticketmaster or the U.S. Cellular Center Box Office (828-259-5736).
- The SoCon championships will span from March 7th-11th of 2019. Typically the event runs either the first week of March or second, just prior to spring each year.
- The women’s tournament kicks off the tournament on Thursday, March 7th with Game 1 tipping off at 11 a.m. and going through the remainder of the day. Semifinal matchups will be held on Friday, March 8 starting at 11 a.m. The Women’s championship game will tip off at noon on Sunday, March 10th.
- First Round for the men's tournament will begin on Friday, March 8th at 5 p.m. with the 4 Quarterfinal matchups being held on Saturday, March 9 starting at noon. Semifinals will start on Sunday, March 10 after the women’s championship game. The Men’s championship game will tip off at 7 p.m. on Monday, March 11 and will be broadcast live on ESPN.
- SoCon Fan Events will also take place throughout the tournament and include events for all ages. The kid-friendly Downtown Dribble & KidsFest will take place on Saturday, March 9 from 9-11:30 a.m. in Pack Square. The Ingles SoCon Experience runs from Friday to Sunday and is a fully interactive family experience with concerts, pep rally stage, basketball activities and a big screen viewing area.
Where to Stay for SoCon
No need to settle for a hotel room! Why not make your vacation an experience, and one where you can cook your own meals (or take advantage of all of the great Asheville restaurants), bring your dog, spread out into multiple rooms with friends or family, take in mountain views, and take advantage of amenities such as hot tubs, full kitchens, and fireplaces. During March, you can also snag seasonal specials and discounts, some of which will total up to 40% off regular season rates. Get all this and more while attending the SoCon championships.
We have over 150 homes that are an easy 15-20 minute drive to the action of SoCon at the US Cellular Center. If you're looking for a little closer access, the following homes are within a 10-mile radius of the US Cellular Center.
Within 10 miles of the US Cellular Center
- Cottage over Asheville - 1.7 miles
- Hudson's Peak on Leisure Mountain - 6.8 miles
- Farmside Village Cabins (Holly, Arcadia, Marigold, Stargazer) - 9.1 miles
- Creekside Mountain - 8.8 miles
- Celia's Cottage - 5.6 miles
- Celia's Retreat - 5.6 miles
- Middleton Place - 10.7 miles
Easy Eats in Asheville Near the U.S. Cellular Center
The U.S. Cellular Center is essentially located in the heart of downtown with easy walking access to some of our favorite Asheville restaurants. In less than half a mile you can reach spots like Early Girl Eatery, Chai Pani, Tupelo Honey Cafe, The Bier Garden, Bouchon, Curate, Rhubarb, White Duck Taco on Biltmore Avenue. Enjoy a celebratory drink at the Asheville Skybar or Sante Wine Bar and Taproom or relax with a glass of wine at the Battery Park Book Exchange. For more tips on favorite local restaurants, lodging and more, contact Greybeard Rentals - we're here to help and make your visit for SoCon memorable.